Thursday, May 8, 2014

Just Between UsJust Between Us by Hayley Oakes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

~~*~~*~~*~~* Spoilerish ~~*~~*~~*~~*

I received this book from the Author for an honest review.

Okay...I am going to kick this review off by giving you the reason for the four stars instead of five. It all had to do with Sophie being a waffling twit. I liked her character don't get me wrong, but her misery was so self inflicted and the bad part is she never even realized it until she pushed too far.

Alright now that I just spit that right out let me get to the really good stuff. Now I normally do not care for book that flashback as sometimes it can just get confusing, but the Author did a really fantastic job with making sure you knew Then from Now. This book touched on a somewhat of a taboo subject of a step brother and sister having a relationship. It started in their teen years and they were both too young and immature to realize the enormity of their feelings and actions.

When the book opens it starts with Sophie being a mess because she is at her childhood home on what should be her wedding day. She had been engaged to her safe and normal fiancee and they should have been starting the safe and normal life only he called off the wedding one month before. Now she was back living with her mother and step father moping and feeling sorry for herself....

Enter Kyle, step brother. He is charming and sweet. He focuses his attention on Sophie and tries to pull her out of her funk. He brings her back to London with him so that she can escape her life a little and find herself again. His intentions are completely innocent even though he is still in love with Sophie. I love that we get just a few little parts in Kyle's POV. It helped to connect with his character even more, both Then and Now. During his younger years we get to see him as a moody asshat, but when him and Sophie really start to get to know each other you can't help but fall in love with Kyle.

So I guess you have figured out that when these two start to spend so much time together as adults that the sparks start to fly and there is nothing to hold them back. They are safe to be a couple in London because nobody they know is around. Everything is great until an emergency calls them back to their hometown and then Sophie starts to be the twit that she is and things blow up.

I won't tell you how it ends but I will say that I am very happy with the ending. I enjoyed this book because it was just a little bit different from the norm. I loved Mags. She is a great mother and really understanding. Ashley is pretty awesome friend to Sophie too. Mick even had some likable qualities.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment