Thursday, October 22, 2015

Review ... Lies Unspoken by Lisa DeJong


Lies Unspoken

 Blurb
I tried hard not to fall for the bad guy.

My new roommate, Blake, is a jerk—an unemployed artist with a chip on his shoulder. I can’t stand him unless his hands are on me. He makes me desperate for him, and everything he makes me feel.

And then there’s my new boss, Pierce--successful, charming, and extremely good-looking. He goes after what he wants, but what does he see in me?

I try to stay away, but I end up in the arms of exactly who I was hiding from. And when I find out what’s being hidden from me, my heart twists in ways it never should.

I thought I knew him.
I didn't.
The way he kissed me.
The way his hands traveled every inch of my skin.
I thought it meant something, but as it turns out, it was all lies unspoken.



Buy the book...
*99¢ at the time of posting*
Amazon US . UK 



3.5 STARS

So, Lila pretty much got the shock of her life when her fiancĂ© called off their wedding the day of her final dress fitting. She ignored all the signs that they had been drifting and it came as a shock to her when he gave his honesty. So, she decided to finally follow her dreams and move to Chicago. 

When we first meet Lila she is a bit of a broken mess, but I did admire her drive to start over in a new city to far away from home. She gained my respect when she went out and found herself a waitressing job on her first day in town in a crappy place because she needed a job. I liked that she made friends with the people around her and that she even allowed herself the opportunity to move on with her life after Derek. I like that she made the effort to better herself personally and professionally. 

But...By the end of this book I think that I lost a bit of respect for her. 

When she meets Pierce Stanley I was pretty sure that this guys should be the one that she focuses on, but nope. She falls for her friends moody and tortured brother. I hated that she fell for him so easily and so effortlessly. It made her lose a bit of herself and I lost that connection with her. The connection though really wasn't all that strong to begin with. I think her character could have been a bit more developed with out Blake's presence consuming so much of her. I felt like once they became what they did that she changed and not for the better. She allowed him to treat her like crap and it wasn't beneficial enough for my liking. I really like the way the end of this book was going but then it fell off for me. 

I guess I am unsure about how I feel with this story and the characters. I guess Lila's story isn't one that I have fully connected with. It feels like she is too naive at times and too wrapped up in Blake, who in my opinion hasn't fully redeemed himself for me. 

I am currently reading book two and I am liking the way it has started, but I'm not sure about where it appears to be leading. 

To be continued with LOVE UNSPOKEN...

No comments:

Post a Comment