Wednesday, June 11, 2014

5 ✰'s for My Skylar by Penelope Ward



From the author of the Amazon #1 bestselling romance, Jake Undone, comes a friends-to-lovers story of longing, passion, betrayal and redemption……with a twist that will rip your heart out.

Skylar was my best friend, but I secretly pined for her. One thing after another kept us apart, and I’ve spent the last decade in fear of losing her forever.

First, it was the cancer, but she survived only to face the unthinkable at my hands. Because of me, she left town. For years, I thought I’d never see her again.

But now she’s back…and living with him.

I don’t deserve her after everything I’ve put her through, but I can’t live without her. This is my last chance, because she’s about to make the biggest mistake of her life. I can see it her eyes: she doesn’t love him. She still loves me...which is why I have to stop her before it’s too late.

My Skylar is a STANDALONE novel and a companion to Jake Undone.

**Contains graphic sexual content and harsh language. It is only appropriate for adult readers age 18+.






My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I absolutely LOVE this book! I loved Skylar in Jake Undone and I really LOVE her is this book too. I also love the dual POV.

When we first meet Skylar in Jake Undone you can not help but love her for her snarky personality and sympathize with her situation. I love that this book starts with a Prologue told in Mitch's POV and you get immediately sucked in by his actions and the way he is telling his side of the story. I am not usually one for books that go back in time, but it really made this story so much better to go back to the very beginning of their friendship/relationship. Even as a 10 year old little girl Skylar was immediately lovable and you could tell that she was very wise beyond her years.

The characters in this book are so well written that I easily connected with them. Even though when we first meet Mitch he sounds a little stalkerish you can't help but be sucked in by him. Their relationship was never easy even from the very beginning. They had to go through so much at such young ages that I couldn't help but root for them to eventually end up together. Their tale is not easy and it is very heart wrenching right from the beginning. When they met as kids you could instantly feel the connection that they shared and I just couldn't wait to see how it developed. Their teen relationship really showed what kind of person Mitch was and made him even more lovable. You could feel the love that he had for Skylar in every thought that he had and the same goes for Skylar. When it gets to the root of why they aren't together in the present I was completely blown away. I really did not see it coming at all. I was a shocked and couldn't really make full sense of it until the other POV from HER.

After the book gets back into the present and we get to see how their relationship continues to grow I just fell even more in love with the both of them. Mitch for trying to be respectful of Skylar's life and also for the man that he turned out to be when he was so afraid of becoming his father. I sympathized with Skylar and her need for safety after she felt so broken. Their relationship is filled with sexual tension and you can definitely feel it. The only thing that I will give away is that their steamy sex scenes are just that...super freaking sexy and super freaking steamy.

I love this book. It is not your everyday romance, but it is so much better. It is filled with raw emotion, love and even some angst. I couldn't help but feel the same emotions that they were going through. My heart raced when I knew something bad was about to happen or even when I could feel something good about to happen. I got he horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when both Mitch and Skylar shattered because of the actions of another. I cried when Skylar sacrificed her own needs for what she though Mitch would want and need later in life. I was choked up when Mitch showed such devotion to Skylar during one of the most challenging times in her life. I could go on and on and practically give away the whole book, so I will cut my review off now. This book is a MUST read. It is just awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment